I recently graduated with my bachelors degree in Biological Sciences. Now while science is a really difficult major, there isn’t much glory in holding the degree (unless you’re around other science geeks, because they understand what it takes…). So when I graduated, it was no wonder the job market wasn’t so forgiving of my degree. But I digress.
Science is all around us, in every single aspect of our lives. Whether you are able to observe it or not, life is science. I decided to come up with my personal top 10 list of ways science directly affects our daily lives.
- Applied Mathematics – The art of tipping… waiters know what I’m talking about!
- Physics – The ability to ride your bike to school because college kids cant afford cars
- Nutrition – Because ramen noodles and caffeteria food stink, and have low nutritional values
- Immunology - Understanding exactly what’s going on inside of you when you’re stuck in bed with H1N1.
- Sociology – Skill of understanding sub-cultures well enough to sweet talk that cute emo girl into going out with you.
- First Aid – knowing how to clean up that wound because you thought it was a good idea to jump into the pool from the second story of the house…
- Physiology – Exercising to stay lean and strong which increases sex appeal.
- Genetics – the realization that if he’s this stupid, reproducing with him means that your children could be just as stupid.
- Anatomy - ensuring you know how to find her you-know-what…
- Microbiology - Knowing how STDs can be transmitted can save your life!
Well there’s my genius ideas of how science affects our daily lives. What ways have you observed science affecting your daily life? Leave your genius ideas in the comments below.