A degree in advertising and commercial design can provide you with a rewarding career. It allows individuals to use their creative talents to make various types of designs to attract people to a specific service or product. Designers and advertising professionals may work on all kinds of promotions for products such as computers, toys or cars.
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) designers spend the majority of their time researching, designing and promoting products. Advertising professionals primarily develop campaigns to introduce a new company, service or product.
Many careers prefer a bachelor’s degree or at least an associate’s degree. The degree should be obtained through an university or college that has an excellent academic reputation. A master’s degree can provide individuals an opportunity for higher paying jobs in the art business such as managing an art gallery or becoming an art dealer.
Top 10 Schools for Advertising and Commercial Design
1. Dartmouth College – This is a prestigious Ivy League college. It is the 9th oldest school in the United States. Dartmouth was formed in 1769 and has an undergraduate population of 4,079. For every instructor there are 9 students.
2. University of Chicago – This is a private university. It has over 70 Nobel Peace Prize winners among its instructors, researchers and students. University of Chicago has 4,545 undergraduate students. The instructor to student ratio is 4 to 1.
3. Brown University – This university is another prestigious Ivy League school. Its faculty and programs are famous throughout the world. It has 6,014 undergraduate students. For each instructor there are 9 students.
4. University of North Texas College of Visual Arts & Design – This university has one of the largest visual arts departments in a public university. It offers 13 degrees in visual art and design subjects. Over 2,000 students enroll in this college.
5. International Academy of Design & Technology – The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) has awarded this college with accreditation for its associate, bachelor, and master degrees. Its students can study visual communications and advertising design.
6. Art Institute of Pittsburgh (Online Division) – This school has 16 online degree programs. It offers bachelor and associate degrees in animation, media art and graphic design. The online division is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).
7. Walden University – This university is more than 40 years old. It provides a bachelor of science degree in marketing communication along with 40 other online programs. The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCACS).
8. American InterContinental University – This is a web-based virtual campus. It also has campuses in Atlanta, Georgia, Houston, Texas, South Florida and London, England. It is accredited by the HLC and is a member of the NCACS. The university offers a bachelor of fine arts degree in visual communication and graphics art. It also provides an associate’s degree in business administration and visual communication.
9. Westwood College – This college was formed in 1953. It is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) along with the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). It offers several advertising and commercial design degrees including an animation bachelor degree and a graphic design and multimedia associate’s degree.
10. ITT Technical Institute – This is one of the leading schools for technical training. It has 85 locations over the US. ITT offers a bachelor degree in graphic design and an associate’s degree in visual communication.